Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Our new blog, and behind the scenes

Welcome to Violet's Buds new blog! We'll be posting about sales, behind the scenes, and new products.
For our inaugural post, we will explore behind the scenes on making a ruched flower. I originally found this pin, which lead me to the tutorial by Rushbrooke Strand.
I adapted the instructions slightly, and used ribbon so I could skip the step of folding the strip of material.
I started out with a 40" piece of 1" wide satin ribbon. The only other materials I needed were a needle, thread & scissors. I also used a circle of felt & hot glue gun to finish the flower & make it a hair clip.


 
If you like, you can draw lines at 90* angles down the strip (zig zag). I skipped this step and just eyeballed the angle while I stitched.
I started by folding under the end of the ribbon and making a running stitch up the side. From that corner, I made a running stitch at a 45* angle. When I got to the edge, I made a 90* turn and stitched to the next edge.
 After making a few passes, I pulled the thread tight, making ruched petals. The original tutorial said to curl the ribbon as you go, and use a second needle to stitch it into place. I found this difficult and decided to stitch the entire ribbon before curling it into a flower.


When I got to the end of the ribbon, I knotted off the thread. I curled the ribbon around and stitched it in a few places to hold it in place, tucking the ends underneath so you won't see an unfinished edge. Since I'm using these for hair clips, I then secured the flower to a felt circle using hot glue. Of course, you could sew this onto a shirt, or make a lapel pin with it.
Here's my finished flower clip, its about 3.5" in diameter. Let me know what you think!
I will warn you, this process is pretty time consuming, but it was fun project to do while watching tv in the evening with my hubs. I like this so much, I made them in several different colors, which you can see in my Etsy store, or Violet's Buds Facebook page. As a bonus, you can use code FREESHIP20 in our Etsy store good for free shipping.
Happy Crafting!

Link-up on Wednesdays with I Gotta Create!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my! It is so gorgeous! I am impressed!

    hugs x
    Crystelle
    http://www.crystelleboutique.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! The finished product is beautiful! I might have to make one of these for my daughter's first birthday photo shoot on Monday!

    I'd be thrilled if you'd link up at this week's Off the Hook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by! If you make one, I'd love to see how it turns out. They are fun, but time consuming. Happy 1st birthday to your little one! I'm off to check out your blog now :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...