Thursday, December 27, 2012

A few more holiday crafts


Last week I posted about the snowmen ornaments I made for my aunt.  I decided that these two were lonely, and made two snow kids to go with them. I added skinny ribbon loops stitched to the back of each snowman. Since I wanted to give my aunt the option of leaving them out during the winter & not just for the holidays, I attached a button to the bottom of each snowman. Now they will stand upright on a shelf. I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out.

Last year my daughter & I made handprint ornaments as gifts to her grandparents, great-grandparents, aunts & uncles. I was running behind on time, and out of ideas. Thankfully Shoregirl's Creations shared a link to the most adorable button tree ornaments. Lucky for me, I have tons of buttons collected from my grandma, and from garage sales.

I sorted through my button collection (which is separated by color, thanks to my husband!) and made little piles for different tree sizes. The longest part of the process was sorting, maybe because I had a toddler "helping" me. I used elastic thread to string up the buttons on the first few, but realized the weight of the tree might snap them. I found some cheap ornament hooks that worked just as well, and gave the tree a little stability. I didn't have the star ornament for the tree topper, but used a little crystal bead. After making several green hued trees, I decided to try a few with my abundant white & cream color button stash. I think I like them better! What do you think?





Next I think I will try the button garland, also from the blog UK lass in US. I'd love to hear your favorite handmade holiday gifts.
Take a look at all the fun projects happening at I Gotta Create! linky party

14 comments:

  1. Oh, these button trees are so cute and clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally darling!!!

    Thank you for partying with the Wildly Original Crowd. Love having you there.
    <3 Christina at I Gotta Create!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tree ornaments are adorable!

    I'm following back from the Meet & Greet! Thank you!

    Holly
    http://notdonegrowing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww those snowmen & button ornaments are ADORABLE!!

    Visiting via the GFC Blog Hop!

    Helen
    Blue Eyed Beauty Blog
    Exercise Encouragement Group Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm headed to your blog now!

      Delete
    2. Awesome! I pinned the snowmen to my Christmas Decor board!

      Helen
      Blue Eyed Beauty Blog
      Exercise Encouragement Group Blog

      Delete
    3. You're most welcome!!

      Helen
      Blue Eyed Beuaty Blog
      Exercise Encouragement Group Blog

      Delete
  5. Oh, I love thos button trees. Must remember it for next year.

    Thank you so much for following. I'm a little late following back, but I am now. hope you have a fantastic 2013

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those trees are such a neat idea! And I do have a stash of buttons. :-) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The button trees are fun to make, enjoy!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...