Thursday, December 20, 2012

Last-Minute Crafty Gifts

As I discussed in last week's post, Handmade Holiday, I wanted to give all (or nearly all) handmade gifts this year. I traded with fellow crafters for many presents, but I have a few more people on my list to make gifts for.
 
My aunt loves snowmen. Last year I created this snowman couple as a mantle display. I used cheap yarn for the inside of the bodies, wrapped the outside with soft fluffy yarn, and finished them with buttons, ribbon, & a felt hat. This year, I decided to take a look in my crafting stash to see what other snowman item I could make. I found the rest of the white fluffy yarn from the snowman (or snow people?) couple. I always have felt, buttons, beads, & sewing supplies on hand. While looking through the supplies, I came across a needle felting set that a friend gave me.
I decided to make ornaments rather than full size figures from last year. I started by rolling 3 yarn balls in increasing size for each figure, with the largest the same size as a cotton ball. I used an alligator clip to hold each ball together until I was ready to needle felt.  This was my first real attempt at felting, and it went pretty well. When the 3 snowball pieces were sufficiently felted so they wouldn't fall apart, I sewed them all together in the center with some white thread. Once they were stable stacked, I put a little fabric glue between each of the 3 snowball pieces. For the boy, I cut a strip of red felt & fringed the ends to look like a scarf. I used the needle to felt the scarf onto the snowman's body. For the girl I cut out pieces to look like earmuffs, and attached them in the same fashion. I picked out some tiny beads for eyes, and felted 2 orange carrot shaped noses. I strip of black (for him) and in red (for her) became the mouth. I finished the girl with tiny ribbon in red, green, & white as a scarf. For winging it, I think they look pretty good! I'm debating on making 2 snow children to go with them.
 

I am still looking for ideas for making an ornament for my daughter to give her grandparents. Last year we made salt-dough handprint ornaments, which was a lot of fun. I considered doing it again, but I think I'd like to do something new.  Time is running out, so I need to come up with something soon. If you have any ornament ideas for a 2.5yr old, I'd love to hear them!

Update:
Here is the finished snowmen ornament family!


Linking up at:


6 comments:

  1. Ahhh! Those are too cute! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute snowmen --- I'd love to see the snow-children if you make them!
    BTW - thanks for your sweet comment on my blog!
    Here are two ornament ideas for you:
    1. Candy Cane Reindeer --- http://kimmccrary.blogspot.com/2010/12/craft-for-little-girls.html
    2. Button Christmas Tree -- http://uklassinus.blogspot.com/2011/11/motivation-needed.html
    It's been a while since I've had a 2 1/2 year old so hope these are age appropriate! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope to make the snow-kids tomorrow. I LOVE the button christmas tree, that is so cute! Its also perfect for teaching fine motor skills. Plus I have all the supplies on hand. Thank you!!

      Delete
  3. Your snow men are really cute. My Mom has a thing for snow men as well. She can't get enough of them...A new follower from the Meet and Greet Blog Hop.

    Anne Marie
    moanasuniquedesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm working on the 2 snow kids tonight and hope to add photos of them soon. I'm aaf of your blog :-) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...