Friday, March 8, 2013

A Cookie Experiment

We are suffering from cabin fever. The recent snowstorms, and the lack of transportation have left my daughter & I home-bound during the day. In a moment of desperation (and not wanting to turn on the tv) I told my little one we could make cookies.
I didn't set out initially to make healthier cookies, it was merely to experiment with different ingredients. I started with the basic chocolate chip cookie recipe, and made some changes. Now, these aren't the prettiest cookies at the party, but they are tasty.
  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened  I subbed 1/2c coconut oil, softened AND 1 mashed ripe banana
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar I replaced the sugar with 2/3c of agave nectar* (I used Xagave)
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, reduced to 1/2c
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 c chocolate chips
ingredient additions I made: 
  • 1/3c ground flaxseed 
  • 1/3c quick-cook oats
  • 1/4 tsp cream of tartar 
  • 2 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
  • coconut flakes
*the package of agave nectar said to use 2/3c nectar for every 1c sugar

my little helper
I preheated the oven to 375* and I mixed the oil, banana, sugar, vanilla & eggs like normal. In the dry ingredients, I added 1/3c of ground flaxseed, 2 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder, and 1/4 tsp of cream of tartar. I sifted the dry ingredients into the liquid in small amounts, stirring well. {note: cream of tartar is optional. I learned from a friend that adding it to any cookie will give it that great chewy texture} Once it was all mixed, I thought it was a little too wet still, so I added the quick-cook oats. Finally, I added the chocolate chips. 


Using my Oxo Good Grips Small Cookie Scoop, I put a dozen cookie dough balls on the ungreased cookie sheet, and put it in the oven. The original recipe said 9-11 minutes, and these cookies were perfect at 11 minutes (for my oven). The second batch, I put shredded coconut on top of the cookie dough rounds. Make sure to press it down onto the cookie top or it may burn.


The agave gave cookies a lighter sweetness, which was fine because the chocolate chips make up for it. The texture was more cake-like than the gooey-chewy chocolate chip cookie that I like. Overall, I like the cookies, and plan to make them again. Next time I will add some chopped nuts for texture, and add even more cocoa powder. As you can tell by the photos above, my helper loved the cookie dough!

Linking up at:



The Handmade Connection

PIN MEme


Monday2 Make the Scene Monday #65

Have A Shop or Blog?

4 comments:

  1. Melanie I always enjoy your blog posts... don't often stop in to comment but these cookies just drew me right in! mmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound a little more guilt-free than regular recipes ;)

    Thank you for partying with the Wildly Original Crowd.
    <3 Christina at I Gotta Create!

    ReplyDelete
  3. CONGRATULATIONS (from your newest follower from the hop)
    I've just nominated you for the LIEBSTER BLOG AWARD! Yes...you!!!

    Check out the nomination, what it means, and what to do next, here:Liebster Award

    Marianne, from Sandling All Day

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...