Friday, March 22, 2013

Getting Organized- Beads & Buttons

I must admit, I have a hard time staying organized. When I start creating, I want to see everything I have so that I can find the perfect addition. Of course, when I'm done, I rarely take the same amount of time to clean up than I do to set up. In my effort to get organized, I've looked to Pinterest and other bloggers for ideas. I will post a series on the organization process, in hopes that it will keep me committed.

Lucky for me, I get a lot of help from my husband. I've amassed a sizeable collection of beads, buttons, & other misc "jewels." The bulk of my collection has come from my grandma, plus many more from garage sales, thrift stores, & clearance racks. My husband sorted my collection by color for me one evening.. It is so much easier to grab a jar of blue buttons and find what I want, than to open a tote of everything mixed together.


Since we are limited on space, the button & bead jars sit in the open. The jars are pint size canning jars that were destined for the recycling center. We found that old peanut butter jar plastic lids fit perfectly on the mason jars. Hooray for re-purposing & recycling!

Last week when we had a wonderfully warm day (it didn't last, its snowing here again), my daughter went outside to paint. I grabbed the pb jar lids to paint the tops so they coordinate with the buttons inside. I have tons of old nail polish, as I am like my grandmother and hold on to anything that *might* be useful one day.

I scuffed up the plastic lids, using a nail buffer that I found in the box of polish, so the polish would adhere better. I tested a few different types of polish on the lid and found the best polish was the metallic varieties. (I used Sally Hansen Chrome). I painted a few coats on each lid, with dry time in between. Once each lid was well coated and dry, I put on a clear top coat, just in case.

I love the jars of buttons with their new matching lids! They are cute decorations on the shelf in the living room. Now, if I could only get my ribbon organized...


The Best Etsy Coupons for VioletsBuds

Link up with us at
The Streeters Unlimited Small Business Saturday






PIN MEme


4 comments:

  1. Hi Melanie, popping over to say hello and look forward to following your blog, too! Have a great week! ~Cindy@littlemisscelebration.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stumbled upon you blog and just love it. I'm excited to be a new GFC follower. I would love for you to stop by my blog sometime.
    http://viewfromrivermountain.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the color coordinating lids!

    Thank you so much for sharing at the Oh What a HAPPY Day Party!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...