Tuesday, April 23, 2013

How are you Green?

Yesterday was Earth Day, which had me thinking about what things I do, and can do better, to make my business and life more green.


For years we have recycled. I reuse every mailing container I have, cutting some to fit. The tissue paper I use for packaging all comes from my friends & family, who save it for me after birthdays and holidays.
















When I am creating anything for Violet's Buds I try to upcycle, & repurpose when I can. For instance, my grandmother makes quilts from old clothes and linens. She sends me all the zippers and buttons, and some fabric that is too small for her to make items from. Just last week I spent time with my daughter sorting buttons, then I made button flowers for clips.
 When I make accessories like these flowers, I try to use the small end & odd pieces for small rosettes, like the one shown below.


I am able to use most size & shape of fabric as I can cut them into strips and piece together any that are too short. With the strips I can make rosettes, or carnations like these.


 My favorite way to be green is to take all my teeny scraps and threads and put them in an upcycled netting (former onion bag) for the birds to take for their nests. Just last week I watched the tufted titmice use some scraps to take to their nests. It makes me smile knowing my scraps aren't going into landfills, but are being repuprosed again!



I will continue to do my best to reduce waste, and lower energy costs. How are you Green?

Link up at

The Best Etsy Coupons for VioletsBuds

4 comments:

  1. How great to give the tiny scraps to the birds and animals for their nests! I would have never thought of that. Thank you for spreading JOY and sharing at the Oh What a HAPPY Day party.

    Holly at Not Done Growing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever! I am always trying to use leftover scraps as well! I don't ever throw any of it away! Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw! I love the part about the birds! We have been observing Earth Day this week in preschool. We have recycle bins in all the rooms, and use them daily. We also talk about conserving electricity and water. I scavenge (clean) trash and recycling for usable bits of things. We reused jello cups as planters this week, and we are planting seed bombs from Origami Delights in old detergent lids as Mother's Day gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are pretty green here! Even my business name! Verte (green in French) I think this week we will do the scraps for birds tho... my daughter will LOVE that! She has been dying to do a new green project!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...