Friday, May 10, 2013

A De-Stash Challenge

Hi, my name is Melanie and I am a Hoarder. More specifically, I am a tank top hoarder. I can't help it. I wear them year-round, to sleep, as a cami under a v-neck shirt, or lounging around the house. After all these years, I have acquired a sizable stash.


As styles change and improve, I have a stack of tank tops that are too short or aren't as comfortable compared to my new tanks. They are all still in wearable shape, but I don't wear them. I hate getting rid of something I *might* be able to use. Well, enough sitting around, it is finally time to turn these guys into something else.



First, I used this tutorial for turning a t-shirt into a tote bag from Daft Craft's blog. Since I was using a tank top instead of a t-shirt I was able to skip a few steps. The bag is really simple and cute. It doesn't look like much from the photo, but my daughter loves having her own bag.



Next, I decided to modify one of the tank tops into a dress for my toddler.
I didn't use a pattern. Instead, I took a loose fitting shirt of my daughter's and marked the neckline and sleeves. I cut the top of the tank top & re-sewed it to fit the right size. Next, I cut the seams on each side, and using the same shirt, measured the bottom of the arm hole down to about my daughter's waist. From there I drew a line on each side to make a diagonal to the end of the tank like this: /   \

After I re-stitched the sides of the tank with the flair from the waist down, I took the bottom hem that I cut off of the tank I made the tote bag from. I used that hem and made a gathered ruffle. I sewed the ruffle to the bottom of the back side of the tank only (stopping at each side seam). I added a simple fabric belt at the center, and a heart applique for fun.

 My little model approves of the twirl-y & swing-y ness of the tote & dress combo.

I am not an expert seamstress, so there are a few flaws, but I had fun upcycling the tank tops. I plan to make several more items. I'm challenging myself to find some other easy options for upcycling. If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!


A Peek Into My Paradise

The Best Etsy Coupons for VioletsBuds

7 comments:

  1. Love it!!!! Also have seen where you can make a rag rug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are cute! I LOVE what you did with them :)Thanks for sharing these @ The SHOW OFF Weekend Blog Party!

    Jessica
    The Wondering Brain

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I wish I had time to craft. (And a girl to put in dresses! lol) As one of the co-hosts from the My Favorite Posts Weekend SHOW OFF Party! I wanted to personally thank you for linking up with us & to invite you to add me to your G+ circles or follow me on Twitter or Facebook as I’ve done the same with you. Also, I run a link party on my food blog, Anyonita Nibbles where you can link up recipes or food related posts. This week’s party is here: http://www.anyonitanibbles.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/tasty-tuesdays-10.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by! I'm off to follow your blog and social media now. Have a great night!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...