Thursday, May 2, 2013

Apricot Applesauce Cake with Apricot Glaze


Last summer we were fortunate enough to have access to a ton of fresh fruit, much of which I prepped and froze. We have used almost all of the peaches, blueberries, apples, & cherries, but I still have a ton of apricots. Last week I decided to make an apricot cake. I used the Applesauce Cake recipe from my old Betty Crocker's Cookbook as a place to start.



Here's the original recipe:
2 1/2 c flour
2 c sugar **
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp cinnamon **
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp allspice
1 1/2 c applesauce **
1/2 c water **
1/2 c shortening **
2 eggs
1 c raisins
1/2 c chopped walnuts

Heat oven to 350F.
Grease & flour one 13x9 pan, or 2 round layer pans.
Place all ingredients in a mixer bowl & blend on low for 30 sec. Scrape the bowl & beat 3 min on high speed. Pour into pan(s). Bake for 60 min, or 55min for round pans.

Now, to make the apricot cake I made several changes. All ingredients above with ** are where I made changes.
Instead of 2 c white sugar, I used 1 c agave nectar, 1/2 c brown sugar, and 1/2 c white sugar. You may need to add more sugar depending on how tart your apricots are. As you can see, my "helper" dropped a bunch of sugar on the table. Lucky for me she helped by eating it, lol

Next, I changed the 3/4 tsp cinnamon to 1 tsp, plus I added another 1/2 tsp of apple pie spice blend. I also added 1/2 tsp vanilla extract because all cakes taste better with vanilla.

Instead of 1 1/2c of applesauce, I used 1 1/2c of thawed apricots. After thawing the apricots, drain the liquid and save it aside for the glaze. Puree the apricots in a food processor and add to the cake. Then add 1/2 c unsweetened applesauce to replace the 1/2 c water. This will make the cake more moist while adding more fruit.

Finally, rather than use shortening, I used coconut oil in the same amount. The coconut oil gave it a great aroma and taste, and is better for us too! Follow the other directions as stated above. It makes a super easy cake, and you can really substitute any pureed fruit.

My helper
While the cake is in the oven, it is time to work on the glaze. I had approximately 1 cup of apricot liquid reserved from draining the thawed frozen fruit. I placed it on the stove on medium heat with 1/2c brown sugar and 1/2c agave nectar. Add 2 tsp of lemon juice, plus sprinkle in any cinnamon, allspice, or other flavorings you choose. Let this mixture come to a simmer, reduce heat and stir regularly. You want it to reduce to a syrupy consistency. The glaze will be tart, but goes great on the cake. If you don't like the tartness, add more sugar.


As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, pour the glaze all over the cake, using a spoon to make sure it gets evenly coated. You want it to go on while the glaze is warm and the cake is hot. The glaze will sizzle where it hits the cakepan, but that is ok. Let everything cool before serving.


The cake is dense, but I like it that way. Next time I may add more applesauce or a couple bananas to really make it moist. What is your favorite fruit to bake with?

Linking up at





The Best Etsy Coupons for VioletsBuds

9 comments:

  1. That looks so pretty and delicious! Love your adorable helper. Thanks for visiting and for your lovely comment...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Hey there! Here from the Blog Hop! Just wanted to let you know I'm following you via GFC and bloglovin'! Hope you'll get a chance to visit me :o) You can find me here:

    Blog url
    http://www.croppedstories.blogspot.com

    Bloglovin'
    http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/3718883

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, I'm now following your blog!

      Delete
  3. Melanie- I thoroughly enjoyed your picture of your old Betty Crocker cookbook! I think mine is probably older though... it is held together with duct tape and is missing a couple pages of the index in the back and the table of contents in the front... you know, I bought the 'new' version a few years ago, thinking I could finally retire the poor old thing, but the favorite recipes have been eliminated! So now the new one sits there unused and the old one keeps getting dragged out. I love how you tweaked and improved upon the original recipe here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my old cookbook. I know my mom owned it for awhile, and it may have come from my grandma. I love all the old recipes and vintage photos. Plus, there are tons of hand written recipes stuffed in between the pages, which is fun to have.

      Delete
  4. These looks so yummy! I'll be right over ;o) Thanks so much for the follow back on bloglovin'; appreciate it! Hope you're having a great Friday :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This seems so much fun! I've never really branched about beyond a bit of applesauce or bananas in baking, but I think I need to try!

    Natashalh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a lot of fun experimenting with different fruit in baked goods. Hope you enjoy it too!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...