Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Chai Tea Latte recipe


Welcome again to our contributor, GipsonWands. This time he brings us a Chai Tea Latte recipe.


I'll make a confession, I love chai lattes. In fact that's all I get when I go to a coffee bar. Unless it's a caramel apple cider (but that's a completely different post). So when I watched the barista make one for me and noticed that all they did was open a jug and pour it in a cup I realized I could do that, and way cheaper. I bought chai in tea bags to brew my own but it never came out right. So I started buying those packets of chai powder and they were great, but still way expensive.  So I did an extensive search (I googled it and clicked the first link) and found a recipe for a DIY powder mix which I just had to try.

1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
1 cup powdered non-dairy creamer
1 cup French vanilla flavored powdered non-dairy creamer
2 1/2 cups white sugar
1 1/2 cups unsweetened instant tea
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cardamom/or nutmeg

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Store in a cool, dry place, in an airtight container.
To use, stir two heaping tablespoons into 6-8 ounces of hot water.

I had the powder tea and non-dairy creamer but no dry milk powder, but I was determined to push on. I added all the ingredients together in la large bowl like the recipe says and of course messed it up. I used tablespoons instead of teaspoons, oops! Easy fix-- just had to double the amount of tea, sugar, and creamer. So I ended up with way more than I had originally planned.


So what were the results? Pretty good! If you look on the back of the store bought powder you see ingredients like dried honey which I didn’t know existed, but were fixed with actual honey when blending. I did miss the vanilla flavor because I didn't have the powdered french vanilla creamer. The one down side I will point out was the grind on the cloves. What you end up with is clove chunks sinking to the bottom of the cup. so I’ve been mixing it, letting it sit and pouring off the top. If you can get finely ground cloves, that is the way to go.

Enjoy!

Linking up at:

Diana-Rambles
Anyonita NibblesPursuit of Functional Home

5 comments:

  1. Sounds tasty, and no black pepper, which is great for me! I have a recipe for brewed chai that I got from an African woman which is really good, but I like being able to store powder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to get that recipe. I know that Scott would be interested in it.

      Delete
  2. This is genius! I'll definitely have to try it!
    Sarah from The Whole Knit & Caboodle here, I'm stopping by some of the MMMakers blogs to nominate them for the Versatile Blogger award. I hope you don't mind! We makers have to stick together after all! :)

    Here's the post I wrote about the award:
    http://thewholeknitandcaboodle.com/2013/05/22/versatile-blogger-award/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Chai Tea! (and caramel apple cider)... I did just place an order for too much (6 boxes of 8) chai tea packets from Amazon. I justified it because it was cheaper in bulk! Ha! :-) Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'll try it when I run out in 6 months! hehe

    Kayla from InspiredbyTwo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know dried honey existed either, lol! :) This sounds delicious though & it'd be nice to invite friends round in winter and have homemade chai teas waiting on them :) Thank you so much for linking up with me this week at Tasty Tuesdays! I’ve pinned this & shared it with my followers!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...