Saturday, June 8, 2013

The Best Homemade Iced Coffee

Once in a while I pin something on Pinterest that I remember to try, and that turns out great. This ice coffee recipe is one of those pins. The recipe is adapted from Craving Comfort with the Homesteading Housewife.


 The iced coffee is made with a cold brew method. You don't need a coffee maker, or any other fancy machine. You'll just need a container big enough to hold the mix. (Personally, I like to use my Pampered Chef 8 cup glass measuring cup because its large and has a lid) We start the recipe by making coffee concentrate.
To make the concentrate you'll need:
8 oz coffee grounds
8 cups cold water

Measure out the grounds, then add the cool/cold water. Put the lid on your container and walk away! Easy, right? Let the mix steep for at least 12 hours. I usually let it set for 24 hours or more.

The next part can be a little messy. Once you are done letting the coffee steep, its time to strain the concentrate. Line a mesh strainer with a coffee filter or layers of cheesecloth and pour (or ladle) the coffee concentrate into the strainer. It may take awhile for the coffee to filter, and you may need to change out the filters to get through the entire batch. Place the filtered concentrate in a clean container in the fridge and store up to 1 month.

Now, don't throw those coffee grounds or paper filters in the trash-- use them in your garden! Either place them all in your compost bin or pile, or you can spread the grounds directly around your plants. I regularly add the grounds to the flower beds, and my roses, hydrangea, and blueberry plants love the acidity. As you can see, my roses are doing pretty well!


When you are ready to drink your iced coffee, fill a cup with ice and pour 1/2 way to 3/4 full of concentrate. Add creamer, milk, and sugar to your taste. Next, I want to test the homemade sweet cream and see how easy it is. I'm worried that it might separate if not mixed fully. According to Craving Comfort, all you need to do is mix 1 can of evaporated milk with 1 can of sweetened condensed milk. If you try it out, let me know how it works for you!


This method is really so easy, and it saves tons of money compared to buying iced coffee on the go. Enjoy your iced coffee all summer long!

Linking up at:







ThePinJunkie

The Best Etsy Coupons for VioletsBuds

16 comments:

  1. Oh I love this! Which we have been talking on Twitter so you know already! :) I am co-hosting Diana's Pin Me party this week though and thought I would invite you to link up at Party In Polka Dots!!

    http://www.piggyinpolkadots.com/2013/06/party-in-polka-dots-26-linky-and-sweet.html

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the invite, I'm adding your link up to my Party list!

      Delete
  2. Visiting from Party in Polka Dots. I've never tried making my own iced coffee. Might just have too.
    Lucy @coffeewithus3.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, I'm off to check out your blog now. I hope you enjoy the iced coffee recipe as much as I do!

      Delete
  3. Hi, I love iced coffee and I am looking forward to making this. I saw it on tasty tuesdays.
    Julie from julieslifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, I hope you enjoy the recipe! I'm off to visit your blog now :-)

      Delete
  4. What a yummy treat, Melanie. Thanks for linking up to last weeks party. Can't wait to see what you link up this week!! Nichi http://mandatorymooch.blogspot.com/2013/06/tasty-thursdays-45.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Flaunt that Pampered Che mixing bow, lady! :) Thank you so much for linking up with me this week at Tasty Tuesdays! I’ve pinned this & shared it with my followers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Gotta love those pampered chef bowls :-)

      Delete
  6. I am completely addicted to coffee and MUST try this! I have never tried to cold brew coffee before, can't wait to give it a try. Pinning right now. :) Thank you for sharing at Tasty Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! Thanks for stopping by :-)

      Delete
  7. If you really wish to take maximum benefit from cold coffee you may pour some the coffee into ice cube trays and freeze. In the morning take out and use ice cubes to get a delicious flavor .

    Thanks
    Finn Felton

    Kopi Luwak

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing your own iced coffee recipe. I would also recommend to put some ice cream and topped with wafer stick.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely summer afternoon treat...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...