Monday, July 1, 2013

Blogger Book Club~ Review of The Help


June is over (that went quick!) and that means its time to review June's book, The Help by Kathryn Stockett

The Help has a lot of underlying stories, but mainly is about Skeeter, a college graduate & aspiring author in the 1960's who returns home after college. She finds that her confidante, Constantine, the maid who raised her, has left without a word. Skeeter embarks on a project with her friends' maids Aibileen & Minny to write a secret tell-all book about what its like to work as a black maid in white homes in the south.


I really enjoyed this book. I have not seen the movie because I didn't want it to spoil the book for me. Stockett does a wonderful job of bringing the reader into the characters' lives. I had a hard time putting the book down, and found myself in tears more than once.

My favorite quote from the book is the mantra Aibileen teaches her beloved Mae Mobley, "You is kind. You is smart. You is important." 

My favorite thing about the book was the way Stockett drew the reader in and gave an in-depth look at the characters. She developed them in such a clear way, making them very interesting.

I definitely recommend this book! Not only is it an original story, its compelling, heartwarming, and emotional.


Co-hosted by My Name Is Madeline, A Mile in Her Boots, and Confessions of a Busy Busy Bee, the blogger book club will tackle 12 books in 12 months. At the end of each month, the participating members will write a review of the book.

The club is open to everyone, and to join all you have to do is sign up at My Name Is Madeline. The books have already been selected, and writing a review is easy since they've come up with a list of questions to answer. Even if you didn't start right away, you can still join!

July's book is American the Beautiful by Ben Carson.


Trade Books for Free - PaperBack Swap.

Etsy Coupons for VioletsBuds at NerdWallet.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...