Thursday, August 1, 2013

Blogger Book Club ~ July's book review


July is already over, and I am sad to say I never was able to obtain a copy of America the Beautiful by Ben Carson. However, I did read 3 other books this month-- The Idiot Girl and Flaming Tantrum of Death by Laurie Notaro, State of Wonder by Ann Patchett, and Life as I Blow it by Sarah Colonna. I decided to review my favorite of the three- State of Wonder.

State of Wonder is about a pharmaceutical research scientist, Dr Singh, who is sent to Brazil to track down one of her colleagues and her former mentor, Dr. Swenson, who has all but disappeared into the Amazon jungle while researching & developing a new drug.

I cannot say enough good things about this book. It is clever, captivating, mysterious, and touches on so many emotions. It is at times horrible & beautiful. I didn't know anything about the story going in, only that my friend had highly recommended it. Its a long, but quick read. Many nights I stayed up late because I just couldn't set the book down.

I didn't make note of any quotes from the book while reading it, because I was too caught up in the story.

My favorite thing about the book was the way Patchett caught my attention from the very beginning. Within a short time I was hooked. The subject matter was so different than what I've read before that I didn't want to stop reading.

I definitely recommend this book! My friend recommended it to me, and now I've passed the book along to my husband.


Co-hosted by My Name Is Madeline, A Mile in Her Boots, and Confessions of a Busy Busy Bee, the blogger book club will tackle 12 books in 12 months. At the end of each month, the participating members will write a review of the book.

The club is open to everyone, and to join all you have to do is sign up at My Name Is Madeline. The books have already been selected, and writing a review is easy since they've come up with a list of questions to answer. Even if you didn't start right away, you can still join!

August's book is Start by Jon Acuff.


Trade Books for Free - PaperBack Swap.



Etsy Coupons for VioletsBuds at NerdWallet.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...