Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Upcycled Suitcase Display

This week, our guest contributor is Holly from Landon's Toy Box. She is sharing how she upcycled a suitcase into an awesome display. 
So, if you haven't heard, I've signed up to be a part of my first ever CRAFT SHOW!

Which is thrilling... and a little scary (especially since it's a little over 2 weeks away!)

So I've been doing some work on my booth set up and I want to share with you some of the ways I've used objects from around the house to create product displays.



This week I'm going to show you how I turned this vintage suitcase which was previously bought at an antique mart for $5






Into THIS!




It's a pretty simple process, if you have the tools OR an awesome dad who does!




The first step was to cover the nasty, original lining. It was stained and didn't match my brand color scheme and HAD to go. I didn't want to rip the whole suitcase apart because who knows what could be lurking beneath, so I simply used an old bed sheet (cleaned and pressed first) and covered the inside. I used spray adhesive, applying in small areas and pressing the fabric down smoothly as I went. To finish the edges I used my old trusty hot glue gun! And here's what it looked like at this point:





The next step was to add the details for the background. This step isn't necessary, but I wanted it to have a cohesive flow with the rest of my display and brand. You could use a patterned fabric that you like or do what I did: hot glued craft paper triangle! So simple! I cut out my shapes, positioned them until I was pleased, grabbed my glue gun and went to town.






The next step took about a week before getting to because I just don't have a saw in my arsenal of power tools.... yet (Santa, I've been a very good girl!) So I waited until my awesome dad stopped by to help out. We used a piece of pre-treated, white 1x4 and measured and cut to size. It took some wiggling and recutting to get a perfect fit since the suitcase has rounded corners, but it only took about an hour to complete.





Half way done!

(We took a twizzler break)




 And here's the finished product:




A great display that can hold dozens of my little peg people 

and can be closed up and carried for added storage!


So, there ya have it! A pretty simple project that can be done in about 2 hours if you stick with it. I think it turned out pretty awesome and I love that I was using something I already had. Grand total cost: $5 for the suitcase + $1.50 in craftpaper + $3 for the 1x4 = $9.50!
That's right UNDER $10 for a great display piece that I'll use for years to come.

Is this something you think you can use? I'd love to hear your thoughts!





Keep creating, Holly

Linking up at:
Diana-Rambles

2 comments:

  1. Awww...it turned out so sweet! Good luck at the craft show.

    Thanks for linking up,
    <3 Christina @ I Gotta Create!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...