Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Creating Organization

Our DIY project this week comes from GipsonWands, who created organization and work space by adding shelving.


My wife and I have a really small third bedroom (it’s only 7 feet wide) that we use as a catch all and we’ve wanted to turn it into a craft room.  What we really needed in that room was some form of storage.  We both agreed what would help the most was shelving.  I wanted to take it a step further and make it more than just shelves, to also make it a working space.

So with a little planning, a weekend, some dimensional lumber, and a lot of sanding we got storage shelves for under 100 dollars. The construction of the shelves was fairly easy and we think they turned out great so we thought we’d share the process with you guys. I used standard building grade dimensional lumber 2x12s and 2x6s (I’m a fan of the thick look for the shelves, plus they are quite sturdy). These shelves are roughly 7x7ft but can be easily adapted to better fit your space.

What I used for my shelves:
3 - 2x12x8
5 – 2x6x8
1 ½ inch wood screws (at least 24)
4 – 6ft Shelf Pilaster Strip cut in half
2 packets T-Shaped Shelf Clips with screws (buy the last two if you want to make the top shelves adjustable)
Quart of satin water based Polyurethane.
Small bottle of white craft acrylic paint for pickling.

Various tools including a saw, tape measure, drill/power screwdriver, various sizes of drill bits, paint brush, and power sander.
I assembled the base first using the 2x12.  I did the uprights; measuring, cutting, sanding and pre drilling holes for the screws. I bought a pocket hole jig so I can hide the screws.  Secondly, I measured and cut the top shelf/workstation. Once I got the top installed I attached the middle upright and then I measured, cut, sanded, and pre-drilled the screw holes for the bottom shelf and installed it.
Then I got started on the top shelves using the 2x6 boards. I wanted them to be adjustable so if in the future we want to store taller items on it, it would be easy to change up. Following the same procedure as on the base I started on the side pieces, then the top and then the middle upright. I then cut and attached the shelf brackets (they were 6ft long so I attached the 3 foot sections along the top to allow for optimum repositioning). Next I cut all the shelves.  I preferred notching the ends of the shelves over creating groves in the uprights for the brackets to go in.

Lastly was the pickling and clear coat. To pickle the lumber I took some white acrylic craft paint and doubled it with water before painting it on, a nice light coat allows the grain to show though. After the pickle was dry I gave it a light sanding and two layers of the Poly.  After letting it all dry for 24 hours we loaded the shelves.  I love the look I achieved with these shelves and it really allowed us a place for some things we had packed away but the best part was it gives the room more of a purpose.
And my wife is happy because she has a dedicated space for her button collection, sewing machine, and craft supplies!

http://gipsonwands.storenvy.com

GipsonWands is a regular contributor to our blog. He makes handmade wood magic wands, solid wood crochet hooks, bookmarks, art cards and more. Check out his shop on Storenvy.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...