Sunday, January 19, 2014

Featured Shop of the Week- Squshies

I love this week's featured shop! Squshies creates amazing felt animals and hoop art. I adore Beauregard the Hippo, one of her shop mascots. My husband surprised me with a Beauregard ornament for Christmas, so he joined Gabos and Oliver on our tree (see pics below). Danielle is the creator/owner of Squshies and I'm happy to feature her work this week!


Making felt animals started out as a fun thing to do in between job searches. I had been looking for a job for more than 6 months. I finally found a job, shortly after I started to make Squshies, but it made me miserable and it wasn't even a good job.

Otis the Cake Troll
Within about 2 months, my husband encouraged me to pursue the Squshies more seriously. My husband and I have both always wanted to something creative career wise and I have always been intrigued by the idea of working for myself. Now I finally had the support, the opportunity and the idea to pursue.
Since then we have both been working to make this crazy dream into a reality. It has been one big scary but awesome and extremely rewarding adventure for both of us.
Gabos ornament from Team Lu & Ed collaboration
Her biggest challenge? Making decisions. Should I do this show? Should I try this new product? The list goes on an and on. There are so many little and big decisions you come across along the way.

It is really exciting and fun to make all all the choices for my own business, but it also really scary and a bit intimidating. Having your own business is a huge learning experience.


Animals and cartoons have been my two biggest influences. They're both things I've been super interested in for as long as I can remember. Squshies sort of combines them. Now that I've started making felt animals I just can't stop. There are so many different animals to make!


Making animals out of felt is super fun. It is also really rewarding. It totally makes my day to get messages from people about how much they loved their Squshie or how one of the stories made them smile. Also, by starting a handmade business I've been introduced to a whole new world of handmade communities where I've met some wonderful new friends


Danielle's favorite ways to network is Twitter and Instagram. "I have a lot of fun conversations with people on Twitter and Instagram is just so much fun." She doesn't have just one favorite color, she loves them all, and her favorite actor is Cillian Murphy. Her favorite food is cake, "I loved baked goods of all kinds but cake most of all."

She likes to relax with "A good book or movie if I'm at home. A trip to the zoo if I need to get away and relax." Her favorite season used to be summer. "Now that I live in Southern California summer is too hot! Spring is my favorite now."


Just like with colors, she loves all the animals. "How can you choose? I have a soft spot for the weirder animals (pangolins, aardvarks, binturongs) and the ones considered less adorable (vultures, elephant seals)."

You can find Squshies on Facebook, Storenvy, Etsy, blog, Google+, Instagram, Tumblr, Twitter, Pinterest & Deviantart. They are offering a free paper toy download on their blog this week for fans! Just head to Squshies blog for instructions and to download Ludwig the T-rex paper toy!



Want to have your business featured on Violet's Buds blog? Click here to fill out the application for Featured Shop of the Week. This program aimed to give fellow businesses added exposure, and to introduce our fans to your products!

 Beauregard & Oliver decorating Violet's Buds Christmas tree. Which Squshies items are your favorite?

1 comment:

  1. You do a snail? I love snails! Do you have a turtle one?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...