Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Homemade Puffy Paint


My daughter loves to paint. She has her own sets of brushes and paints of all types, but I wanted to try something new. Using the recipe posted on Play at Home Mom we mixed up a batch of puff paint.
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tsp salt
  • food coloring or powdered paint

This was a great activity to involve my almost- 4 year old. She helped me gather the ingredients and I let her measure and stir them. Once she had the first 3 ingredients mixed, I let her divide the mix into the cups of a muffin tin.


Rather than add food coloring, we used powder paint to mix in the flour. I bought the powder paint at Michael's on clearance and its turned out to be great for all types of projects. I let her scoop a spoonful of paint powder into each cup and then stir. She had a great time scooping and mixing. We also talked about combining blue and red to make purple.

Once the flour and powdered paint were combined, I added a little water to each and stirred til it reached a thick but spreadable texture. It took some time to mix the water and get out the big clumps. Then it was time for painting.


V painted on the thick cardstock using paintbrushes, cotton swabs, cotton balls, and even a spoon at one point. When she declared a painting complete, we put it in the microwave for 20-35 seconds for the paint to puff up & dry.



This turned out to be a great activity and kept my little one busy for over an hour! She has already asked to mix up another batch, so we will certainly do this project again.

Linking at:
ThePinJunkiehttp://thankyouhoneyblog.com/ww-2014-iv/http://cantgoogleeverything.blogspot.com

5 comments:

  1. what a great idea! It's going on my "projects with kids" list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOH! I LOOOVE this idea! :) Great post! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Definitely going to try it out with my little one. I must get some powdered paint - it has so many uses for so many projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love our powdered paint! We use it for so many art projects!

      Delete
  4. Great idea! Can't wait to try this! Thank you so much for sharing at Whatever Wednesday on Thank You Honey! Hope to see you again this week!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...