Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Watermarking Photos

As a shop owner, and a photographer, I find it important to watermark my photos. Not only does it connect the photo to your brand, but it may deter from people using your photos.

I use Adobe Photoshop to add watermarks to my photos, but you can easily do the same in other photo editing programs. The following is the step by step method I use.

I start with the watermark that Retro Rocket Graphic Designs created for me along with my logo. The watermark I use is a .png on a transparent background which makes it very easy to add to any image.



Step 1: Start by opening up the watermark file, and the image you want to add the watermark to (now referred to as photo), in Photoshop.
watermark file

Step 2: With the watermark file on top, go to Select--All
Select All
Edit- Copy

  Step 3: With your photo now on top, go to Edit- Paste

Edit- Paste
The image of the watermark will now be a new layer on your photo

Step 4: Using the move tool (see arrow) move your watermark to its preferred position on the photo. 

Step 5:  In the Layers tool box (see arrow) choose the Opacity meter. Then use the slider bar to select the opacity (aka transparency) you desire. For this particular image I selected 24%.
change opacity

Step 6: Once you are happy with the watermark's appearance, go to Layer-- Flatten Image. This makes the watermark permanent on the photo. Now you can go to File- Save As to save the image in your preferred format, such as .jpg or .png.

And here is the finished photo! 


You can use a similar method to add text watermarks to your photos. Choose the Text tool and type your desired phrase or shop name.

Next, like Step 5 above, go the Opacity menu and change the transparency level of the type layer until it looks the way you'd like. Then proceed with Step 6.


You can also add text watermarks to your photos for free using PicMonkey.
Upload your photo, click Tt on the left-hand side, then Add Text. Chose your font, color, and type your desired name or phrase. Then using the text box tool, use the Fade meter as you would the Opacity.


Do you have another method of watermarking photos, or a different program that you use? I'd love to hear more about it!

Linking at:
Thursday favorite thingsThePinJunkie

4 comments:

  1. Great tutorial! Watermarking photos is so important!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, I need to get on with watermarking my photo's this year, I've taken quite a few and it seemed like a big job but it will be worth it in the end. Looking forward to looking at some more of your posts. Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use Gimp and have add the app BIMP to it so I can add my watermark in batches. So much faster.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...