Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Handmade Valentine's Day Shirts


Last year I made my daughter and niece each Valentine's Day shirts, and wanted to do it again this year. This year I decided to personalize their shirts with their initials, which my daughter was so excited about. The process is fairly simple, and I used fabric that I had on hand.

For each project I used:
Long sleeved t-shirt
Fabric in coordinating colors
Heatn Bond Ultra Hold Iron-On Adhesive (any iron-on adhesive should work) 
Embroidery floss in coordinating colors

I also used was a ruler, marker, scissors, and rotary cutter.

To start I measured the area of the shirt I wanted the applique to cover, then used those measurements to draw each letter on the fabric. I used a ruler to make the lines straight, then a rotary cutter to cut out the letters. Next, I cut hearts and a butterfly shape freehand. You could also use a stencil to make the shapes.

Once the shapes were ready, I experimented with how to layer them on the shirts. Once I was happy with the look, I followed the instructions on the iron-on adhesive to attach the shapes to each shirt.


After the adhesive cooled, I hand-stitched around each shape with embroidery floss. To the butterfly I added a body, antenna, and a few pink spots.



I showed my daughter the finished shirts and she was so excited to have her initial on it. I can't wait to get some photos of the girls in their new shirts!

Linking at:

ThePinJunkieThursday favorite thingshttp://thankyouhoneyblog.com/ww-2014-iv/http://cantgoogleeverything.blogspot.com

Pursuit of Functional Home

3 comments:

  1. Super cute! Lovely ideas! Thanks for sharing them! Would love to have you visit me sometime :)
    Hope you have a wonderful week!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by! I'm off to check out your blog now!

      Delete
  2. Very cute! I bet your daughters love their personalized shirts!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...