Thursday, February 20, 2014

Quinoa Beef Stew


Keeping with the quinoa theme for the month of February, I came up with this tasty slow cooker recipe for Quinoa Beef Stew. Its hearty and great for a cold day. Although the recipe does call for meat, it could easily be left out to make a vegetable stew.

I used the following ingredients:

1 cup of quinoa, rinsed and dried
2 potatoes, diced
4 carrots, peeled & diced
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
1 can of mushrooms, drained
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 can of Progresso Fire-Roasted tomato recipe starters (can substitute tomato soup)
1 tbs Worcester sauce
salt & pepper to taste

1 lb cubed beef roast or stew meat
1-2 tbs flour
1 can of beef or vegetable broth

Begin by placing the first 9 ingredients in your slow cooker on low heat. Next, heat a skillet with a little bit of oil or butter on medium-high heat. Toss the stew meat with flour to coat. Working in small batches, sear the meat cubes on all sides in the skillet. Remove each batch of meat once its seared. When you are finished searing, deglaze the pan with the broth, making sure to scrape all the tasty browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Next, pour the liquid into the slow cooker and stir in the seared meat.

Let the stew cook on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 4-5. The quinoa will soak up most of the liquid making a nice thick consistency. Thirty minutes before serving, I stirred in 1.5 cups of frozen peas, and checked the seasoning and added ground pepper. Frozen corn or frozen mixed vegetables would work as well. To up the tomato-y flavor, add a can of diced tomatoes.


Serve with a nice crusty bread, like the Quinoa No-Knead Bread pictured below. We really enjoyed this stew and will likely make it again very soon!


Linking at:
Thursday favorite things

5 comments:

  1. Hi Melanie! So glad you stopped by and linked up, and thanks a bunch for the follow...I'm now your newest GFC follower too :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much for stopping by and for the follow!

      Delete
  2. this sounds delicious! I'm going to make it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so it took a while, but I finally made it and it was delicious! I actually doubled the batch so I could freeze some for another day when I'm too busy to cook. I was bumped I could not find the fire roasted tomato in my supermarket (I might have just not looked in the right spot), so I used a basic tomato soup instead. Anyway, we still have leftorevers for tonight's dinner so no need to cook, just a run to a store for some yummy crusty bread (It's a definite must with the stew!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it! I need to make it again as soon as the weather gets a bit cooler (i'm not a fan of stew in the hot months).
      Basic tomato soup is just as good, and you can throw in a can of diced stewed tomatoes too if you like the chunks. Thanks for the feedback!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...