Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Science Experiments for Kids

I'm always on the look out for fun children's activities that I can do at home, especially those using items on hand. My daughter is in love with Mythbusters (or "The Scientists" as she calls them), so our play lately has revolved around science experiments. Here I will share the Baking Soda & Vinegar Experiment, and the Milk & Soap experiment.

Baking Soda & Vinegar Experiment
You will need:
White Vinegar
Baking Soda
Food Coloring
cups
dish
eye droppers, liquid syringes (like from kids medicines), squirt bulbs, or spoons
dish soap (optional)

While I was setting everything up she requested to wear a hat "like Adam," and of course daddy had to wear a beret to match Jamie.

To do the experiment I divided white vinegar between several cups. I then added a different color of food coloring to each cup, and to one cup I also added a squirt of dish soap. In a glass dish I sprinkled a layer of baking soda.

We gave my daughter several syringes and a suction bulb to squirt the colored vinegar into the dish of baking soda. The vinegar will cause the baking soda to bubble, which is extra fun when its blue and red! The addition of the dish soap will help to make the bubbles stick around longer.


My little one was excited to watch the bubbling, and how after awhile the colors began to mix. I handed her a spoon and she used that to scoop and stir the vinegar/soda/soap concoction. We tried sprinkling more baking soda into the vinegar cups to watch those boil over with foam. She had such a great time that I cleaned out the dish and set it all up again for her twice! The activity was not only a good science experiment, but it also worked on her fine motor skills to correctly use the syringes and suction bulb.
the dish of baking soda partway through the experimenting

Milk & Soap Experiment
You will need:
Whole or 2% milk
Dawn dish soap
food coloring
cotton swabs
a plate or shallow dish with a lip
small cup

I came across this activity on We-Made-That during a blog hop, and it was perfect timing! We had a portion of a gallon of milk that was past its prime, so I didn't feel like I was wasting it.

Start by pouring a bit of milk in a shallow dish. (Without thinking, I tried it in a deeper dish first, and it didn't work) Put one drop of each food coloring in the milk, and put the dish soap in the cup. Dip the cotton swab in the dish soap, and poke it into the milk where the food coloring is and watch the colors skate around. You can repeat this process several times, until the colors are well mixed.


In addition to watching this chemical reaction (the fat in the milk is being dissolved by the soap), my daughter was delighted to mix the colors to make new ones. Once all the colors were mixed, and you couldn't see the reaction any longer, I dumped out the dish and set it up again. This activity kept my daughter busy for quite some time!


I like to keep a list of places to find different activities. These are a couple of my favorites. If you know of any, please share the links and I will add them to the list!

We-Made-That has a huge resource of science activities, recipes, games, crafts & more

Play at Home Mom's mission is to teach through play. They have a wealth of activities, ideas, and often post when their favorite toys or supplies go on sale online

BlogMeMom has a selection of art, crafts, and math activities.

2 comments:

  1. We just did the baking soda & vinegar one a couple weeks ago! I think the milk/soap food coloring one will be a blast. I'll have to add it to this weeks agenda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much fun! And a lot cleaner than the vinegar/baking soda volcano. XD

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...