Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Balsamic Mushrooms recipe

One topping to top them all- Balsamic Mushroom recipe from GipsonWands

Balsamic mushroom- topped sloppy joes
Today I'd like to share with you a great topping I made almost by accident- Balsamic Mushrooms. My wife loves reduced balsamic vinegar on her asparagus and I love it as a topping for salmon. I was making a risotto the other day to go along with some pan seared tilapia, and I wanted a great topping. I didn't want to just make a mushroom risotto and the reduced balsamic vinegar drizzle so I thought, "why not somehow combine the two?"

It was so delicious that I made it again later that week and topped mashed potatoes with it, again to top pizza, for sloppy joes, and yet again for an omelet. The best part is it's super easy.


Ingredients
8 oz (two cans) button mushrooms
Balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp butter

Open and drain the cans of mushrooms. Place a sauce pan over medium heat and add the butter and the mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms start toasting and popping. Then pour in just enough balsamic vinegar to cover the mushrooms and let it reduce, stirring occasionally.


Once the vinegar reduces by half, add more balsamic to cover the mushrooms and the brown sugar. Stir to blend. Once more let the balsamic reduce by half, then add vinegar once more and let that reduce to a thick syrup consistency. After that let it cool slightly and top your favorite savory foods.


It's super tasty, and very versatile. Let us know what you use your balsamic mushrooms on.



GipsonWands is a regular contributor to our blog. He creates handmade wood magic wands, solid wood crochet hooks, bookmarks, art cards and more. Check out his shop on Storenvy

http://gipsonwands.storenvy.com

1 comment:

  1. This looks so heavenly! I wish my hubs and kiddo liked mushrooms. . .but I think I'll have to try these just for me sometime!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...