Thursday, May 22, 2014

Product Photography Tips- Backdrops

Violet's Buds is writing a series of photography tips posts for Daft Crafts. You can read more in-depth suggestions here.

Not all products are created the same, and neither are backdrops for photographing your items. It is important to experiment with various backgrounds to find what works for you.

GipsonWands photographed this series of his hoop art on a variety of backgrounds as an example of what works, and what doesn't.

As you can see, some of the backgrounds distract from the product, while others make the piece stand out.

The standard seamless white background is a good place to start with product photography, but it is not always the best way to catch your customer's attention. Here are a few examples of successful product photos that are unique and flatter the subject.

Mystigail Adornments
Sugar Crumbs
Lu & Ed
A Single Dream

Remember that no matter the background you decide to go with, certain things like wrinkles, dirt, and stains will generally distract from the subject. Keep experimenting until you find what works with your products. Its a great idea to regularly experiment with changes in your backdrop. It will keep your customers interested, and you may find something that works even better.

Follow our full series of product photography tips on Daft Crafts.

http://www.daftcrafts.net/

1 comment:

  1. I found your blog through Passion Fruit as I am just starting out with my blog (again - it is a fresh start for me.) and and working on building my traffic. I have to tell you I really appreciate these photo tip posts! I am terrible - which is weird cause I am really creative and to me the two should go hand in had - and I need all the help I can get!! :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...